2017, A Year of Prosperity

8:22 PM


Can you guys believe 2017 is already over?! Also, can you believe I haven't written a blog post since August? Things really picked up and got busy these last few months, which definitely isn't a bad thing. I figured this would be an appropriate post to kick off writing some more content.

Like always, I enjoy reflecting on the last year to evaluate the good, the bad, what was accomplished, and what could be improved in the next year to come. The last few years, I struggled a lot with my health and saw it as an opportunity to grow both professionally and personally. In the back of my head, I couldn't help but wonder when things were finally going to turn around and become "good" again for me, however I tried to remain outwardly positive, powered through, and remembered that God always has a plan for each of us that we know nothing about.

This year has truly been my most prosperous year in my adult life, and I finally see how God's plan continues to unfold. Over the course of this week in my yoga classes, the beginning of our practice prompts us to set an intention before we begin the physical aspect of the hour. We have been prompted to reflect on 2017 and what we would like to make room for in 2018, or anything we may be hanging on to that doesn't serve us. I can't help but think of the many doubts I had this time last year about the future of my health and professional life, and how many of those doubts have been answered. Yesterday at the end of my yoga practice in savasana, my instructor told us that "peace is possible, but we must choose peace." Well, I'm finally choosing peace.

The recap...

I began this year unsure of...really, anything. The year started off with me reading The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein on a plane, which aims to transform fear into faith to live a divinely guided life, and enable the readers to truly live in the moment. I learned the quote, "the wound is the place where light enters you." This was great symbolism for what was to come, and I didn't even know it at the time.

In February, after getting involved in the Lupus Foundation of America upon being diagnosed with lupus in 2016, I was invited to be an inaugural member of the LFA Community Ambassador Program in NYC. This was a true blessing, where I am able to speak on behalf of the foundation and go into a professional setting and share MY story with lupus and how important awareness and funding is for our future. From this, I've met incredibly motivating people who also have lupus, who I consider to be a second family. In February I also began practicing yoga, and have been bettering my mental and physical health ever since. This has been a great alternative to weight lifting, which is impossible for me to do on a bad lupus day. I have the opportunity to test my physical and mental limits every day, which is a unique opportunity.

In March, I found a new rheumatologist who actually listens to everything I say pertaining to my disease, and actually takes everything I say very seriously. This biggest challenge people with chronic illnesses have is people not believing their pain and symptoms, since most of the time we physically look healthy. My doctor and I have thus far built an amazing relationship. Lupus is a complex disease with an infinite amount of manifestations. I actually have hope for the outcome of my illness and treatment course knowing that we are working together. Although in October he found degeneration in my lumbar spine and sacroiliac joints from my inflammation (pretty much the only bad thing about 2017), he quickly wanted to help me and prescribed me weekly injections of anti-tumor necrosis factor biologics to halt this process in hope to give me a better quality of life.

In May, I was able to go on a fantastic vacation to Marco Island, FL with my family! Some much-needed relaxation prior to what was to come in the following months. I also started Team Wolf Pack for the Walk to End Lupus Now NYC, and we raised a new record since last year! (P.S., if any of you want to join in the fun next May, we're always accepting new team members!). This year, the LFA reported that they are putting $3.8 million towards stem cell research projects for lupus patients. This was a direct result all of YOUR efforts in raising awareness and fundraising. A cure is in sight, and we're not giving up until it happens!

June came around, and went on to change my life. I received my total knee replacement surgery at the ripe age of 23, after years of struggling with injury, lupus, infection and inflammation. After 7 surgeries and stem cell treatments, I was finally able to put it all behind me and live like a real 20-something. You can read details about my journey here. Now almost 7 months out, I am happy to report that I am walking around pain-free which used to be unthinkable, and I am challenging my new knee to new limits everyday. I also was able to teach myself how to run again at my six month mark which is unheard of. I could not be more thankful to Dr. Sculco and the Hospital for Special Surgery for taking on my unusual and complicated case with ease and confidence, and ultimately giving me my life back.

Dr. Sculco and myself following my life-changing surgery

In July, I celebrated three amazing years with my boyfriend, Joe. In the month before, he sat in the waiting room with my parents for ten hours while I had my surgery done and was experiencing some issues in the recovery room. If that's not the definition of love and support, then I don't know what is! I'm thankful for all he does and to have him with me in this journey through life.

August rolled around and I began by visiting Joe's family in Chicago, and I went and saw my first Cubs game! It's always a great time being with them and we always pick up right where we left off!



Joe and I playing tourist at the Bean in Chicago

At the end of that same month, after being accepted just before my knee replacement surgery, I was preparing to begin my first semester of graduate school at NYU. I feel that the timing of the acceptance was God's way of telling me "this is your time." Things completely turned around, and has been on an upward trend from there. NEVER in a million years did I think that I would be accepted to NYU for graduate school, that was always a "what if" in my head. But this year, I was accepted to the two year MPH program with a great scholarship, and am now a part of an extremely tight-knit cohort in the largest city with unbelievable opportunities right at our fingertips. These incredible people are from a variety of different backgrounds with different experiences; my world has totally opened up. They offer never-ending support to one another, and some have become my best friends. Life has changed since beginning this program, for the better, and every day I wake up still in disbelief and gratitude.

Some of my new MPH cohort of incredible people!

I found my true purpose professionally as well. I decided to concentrate in Healthcare Policy and Management in my MPH program, which will enable me to rid the healthcare system of inefficiencies either through management consulting, or the executive/strategy and operations division of a hospital system or pharmaceutical company. With this, I want to ultimately create a more impactful and patient-centered medical environment. As a patient who has been through a tremendous amount in my young adult life, this is so empowering to be in this position of management and execution. I can't wait to get out there in the world and begin to make a difference in the lives of many.

Every detail of 2017 has continued to surprise me and has allowed me to become closer to my faith. This time last year, I never would have thought I would be where I am today, but here I am! Having faith, not wavering from your goals, and gaining strength from negative experiences is what you need to gain success in life. Be open-minded and receptive to all experiences, knowing that theres a purpose for each and every one of them. I am eager to see what 2018 has to offer, 2017 will be a tough one to beat! Happy New Year everyone, and many blessings to come!

Our fourth annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree picture
Celebrating the end of the semester. We're a quarter of a way to being MPH's!
The Lupus Foundation of America Evening of Hope Gala 2017 with my amazing date!
Marco Island, FL

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow!!! Such a true inspiration! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe To My Blog!

Subscribe