LFA Young Leadership Committee

1:05 AM


The biggest struggle to living with an autoimmune disease is finding people who truly understand what you are going through. If you are lucky enough to have people close to you that provide moral support and unconditional love, then you are incredibly blessed and you should embrace those relationships. Every once in a while though, we find a sense of emptiness when we have days where we feel like we can't go any further, but people are convinced "because you look fine, you are fine." That is why it is VITAL for people with chronic illnesses to reach out to a supportive and uplifting community who also understand exactly what you are going through. 

When I was diagnosed in March, I quickly found the Lupus Foundation of America which provided my family and I much needed knowledge about the disease. From digging into the website frantically, I came across the Walk to End Lupus Now in NYC and fundraised and participated in May. I then had great people from the foundation connect with me, and it was the beginning of my advocacy story!

Just a few weeks ago, we had our inaugural meeting for the LFA's Young Leadership Committee at WeWork 42nd Street. The committee is aimed at gathering a force of young professionals who are passionate about fighting lupus (or any other chronic illness),  to fundraise, organize major events, and advocate at the state and national government level for lupus patients. Meeting some of these people has truly warmed my heart, realizing that I'm not the only one out there on this journey, and I have a whole family that I can go to when I'm having a bad day.  It also consists of so many inspirational individuals that have lupus that want to really take the bull by the horns and fight it.

I cannot wait to see what amazing things this committee does. Not only are we fighting for ourselves and our future, but we are fighting for those that are affected by lupus that unfortunately are unable to help themselves. "We Know Lupus, for a future with No Lupus"

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so excited for you and to follow your health advocacy journey :) ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe To My Blog!

Subscribe